Sunday 13 November 2011

The making of a diamond by Donna-Ray Campbell


Mrs Donna-Ray Campbell
M.D Donna's Hair & Beauty
Hello my name is Donna-Ray Campbell, wife mother and entrepreneur. I would like to take this opportunity to share with you, the journey I have taken so far as an entrepreneur.
As a child I believed that I could solve my own problems and achieve anything. I wanted to have my own money that I governed and was free to spend as I desired. I therefore went out and carried out a survey of our home for a venture to make money, I quickly noticed we had fruit trees and vineyards that bear fruit all year round, so I set off to our local fruit vendors and proposed to supply them with my various fruits throughout the year and they would pay per delivery, thereafter I never needed pocket money! Back then i had no idea or appreciation of the magnitude of the entrepreneurial skills I possessed but nevertheless there was no stopping me. My tenacious determination to conquer and achieve blossomed into an independent and self-motivated lifestyle.

When the fruit business got boring and the cash flow seemed insufficient, I sought out my next opportunity, whilst maintaining my current business. My aunt owned a hair salon and I decided to employ myself on her behalf! Every weekend and after school I would go to the salon and assist her. She noticed my perseverance, and she offered me an attachment position. I welcomed this opportunity with open arms as this meant I would learn a new skill and experience for free! A year later I was given a managerial position at her salon.  As a result, in 2006 when my aunt emigrated I had earned an opportunity to buy her salon which became my first business. I renamed it ‘Donna’s Hair & Beauty Salon of which I am still managing director.

While it all seems so easy I failed to mention the hardships in my journey, like balancing school work, chores and an attachment, this required me to be extremely efficient at everything I did and I had to manage my time efficiently. This could have been seen as torture by the average teenager but this was my training and grooming which I craved.  During this period I learnt to be responsible for managing my time and duties and to never let the pressure show, lest I be relieved of my responsibilities. After I completed my A Level’s I had a new responsibility to transform my aunt’s salon into my own. This was a challenge as I had no capital which meant that I could not give the business the face lift it so desperately needed at the start, but I went with my business through the paces. Slowly but surely as I earned I invested straight back into the business and with each punishing stage of development and establishment I achieved the refurbishment.  After my first year I decided to accelerate growth in the business by increasing my income so I got a job. I got a job as an assistant at a family butchery and there I learnt the ins and outs of the meat industry and soon climbed up the ladder to become the operations manager. The butchery developed my management and public relations skills which I rely on to this day. My new job in addition to the salon profit enabled me to replace all my equipment gradually after achieving the cosmetic ‘face-lit’ it required. This was a slow process put it's been a steady uphill climb which is great as I managed to develop the business without getting into debt.

This may seem like a long winded way to growing the business but I believe that slow and steady organic growth allows for a better foundation for your business and personally I am learning and developing, moving towards my goals slowly yet with confidence that I will reach them.
I believe the key to business start-up is not competing with other business in the beginning but focusing on establishing a foundation. It's always good to know what members in your industry are doing but do not lose yourself in competition when you should be establishing yourself and discovering then communicating your unique selling point. Remember to always set achievable goals, and have a clear vision which gives you the ability to see where you plan to be in the future and how to get there. Even if you stumble and fall along the way in your entrepreneurial persuits, the road still awaits your journey, all the best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment